I was introduced to Butter by Keba products through a friend who lived in Harlem. I have trouble with dry skin and wanted to find out more about brand. After becoming fed-up with drug store moisturizers, I contacted Makeba Lloyd, founder of Butter by Keba, to learn more about her products. Instead of just “telling” me about the brand, Makeba hand-delivered me a box filled with Butter by Keba products. For the past two weeks, I’ve been using Butter by Keba body butters, lotions, perfumes and salt scrub. Each product is infused with a hand-made fragrance to “capture the essences of color and nature by using eclectic blends of essential and fragranced oils.”*
While using Butter by Keba, I notice that my skin stays soft and moisturized for more than 12 hours. The scent also lasts throughout the day as well. I’m a sucker for moisturizers that smell sweet, so the Georgia Tea Butter has been my body butter of choice for the past three days. I wish the body butters were edible, because they smell so delicious. If you’re interested in purchasing Butter by Keba products, please visit the website. Gift baskets are also available for purchase.
Butter by Keba:
Butter By Keba is “a high-end affordable personal care brand, designed with the fast-paced individual in mind.” The brand “inspires women and men to slow down and take personal care of themselves with our line of well formulated body care products that offer two enhancing properties, fragrance and moisture.”*
I had an opportunity to ask Founder of Butter by Keba, Makeba Lloyd, a few questions about her product line.
1) What inspired this product line? I wanted to create a line of products that offered real lasting moisture and perfume quality fragrance in one without harsh chemicals like Phthalates. *Editor’s Note: According to online sources, Phthalates are being phased out of many products in the US, Canada, and European Union over health concerns.
2) How does Butter by Keba separate itself from other Harlem perfume and oil vendors? We use a blend of essential oils and phthalate free fragrance oils using the technique of a perfumer by combining top, middle and base notes.
3) In addition to ordering online, can customers find Butter by Keba in local boutiques? Yes, Polish Bar Brooklyn in Prospect Heights carries our line.
4) You have an extensive line of fragrances. Do you have any plans to expand the products (i.e., cosmetics)? Yes, we have a healthy had care system coming out this month called MyPalmSpa.com.
5) Can you tell me a bit about your hair serum? You can go to (webstie) to find out more information on the hair serum: Fruition Hair Serum is a blend of sunflower, coconut, palm, jojoba and sweet almond oils with just the right amount of shea butter and carnuba wax to give this potion its POW. Carnuba wax is extracted from the leaf of the palm tree (Copernica Cerifera-also know as the “tree of life”) and grows primarily in the northeastern regions of Brazil, South America. When used in very small quantities, it can enhance durability and elasticity of the hair because of its emollient properties. This product was designed to use in conjunction with other hair products if desired. Great for chemically treated and natural hair.
In 2006, Harlem born, Makeba Lloyd began blending and mixing fragrance with Shea Butter as a therapeutic hobby to calm and balance her senses while discovering a more convenient method of moisturizing and scenting. It wasn’t until she traveled to ancient Egypt on a substantive study tour that the Butter By Keba brand was created to introduce her signature blends. She was inspired by the illuminating aromas of open air markets in Aswan and fragrant essence houses in Cairo. Makeba continued her curiosity and fascination of the essence world in the aromatherapy and natural perfumery classrooms of the New York Open Center. Her learning journey of the natural fragrance world continues as she expands the Butter By Keba brand.
*Quotations from Butter by Keba “About” page.